Credentials & Experience Matter
KIRSTEN RABE SMOLENSKY, ISA CAPP, JD
Minerva Appraisal, LLC, Owner & Appraiser, Brentwood, TN, June 2015- Present
Offers various appraisal services, including consultation, brokering and written appraisals for insurance, divorce, equitable division, bankruptcy, damage claims, IRS taxable estates, IRS charitable donations, etc.
Experienced expert witness/legal consultant for complex valuation claims in state and federal court; deposition experience.
International Society of Appraisers, Certified Member, Chicago, IL, April 2009-Present
Certified Member of the International Society of Appraisers. Certified Members have the highest level of experience and education in ISA.
Instructor, ISA’s Core Course in Appraisal Methodology, since October 2013.
Instructor, ISA’s Requalification Course, since April 2015.
President, Treasurer, Board Member, ISA’s Foundation for Appraisal Education, (July 2011-July 2014).
2015-2016 International Society of Appraisers, FAE Award.
2014-2015 International Society of Appraisers, Special Merit Award.
Choosing the Most Common Market for IRS Appraisal Reports, J. of Adv. Appraisal Studies, 365 (2016).
Diminution of Value in Insurance Claims: More Questions Than Answers, J. of Adv. Appraisal Studies, 81 (with Leon Castner)(2016).
Editor, A Guide to the Identification and Evaluation of Antiques and Residential Contents, International Society of Appraisers (2012-2015).
Scottsdale Appraisal Specialists, Owner & Appraiser, LLC, Scottsdale, AZ, July 2009-May 2015
Built a successful general personal property appraisal practice with an employee and several subcontractors.
Performed appraisals for IRS taxable estates, businesses, attorneys, banks, trust officers, governmental agencies and individuals.
Appraisal Specialists & Associates, LLC, Assistant Appraiser, Tucson, AZ, Jan. 2008-July 2010
Assist ISA CAPP certified in antiques and appreciable residential contents with identification and market analysis of various appraised items.
Antiques and Collectibles Retailer, Owner, March 2002-present
Retail buying and selling of general antiques and collectibles from multiple locations across the country with a focus on silver, English porcelain, and Asian decorative arts. Selling both online and in antique malls, including Call it New Call it Antique in Mesa, AZ (Jan. 2015- April 2015), Antiques on Central in Phoenix, AZ (Oct. 2009-Dec. 2014), and the Gurnee Antique Center, LLC Gurnee, IL (Sept. 2004-May 2006).
- International Society of Appraisers, Annual Conferences, 2009 and 2011-2016. All three-day events with over 15 hrs of continuing education on a wide variety of topics related to personal property appraising methodology, antiques and fine art.
- Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, 2016 MESDA Furniture Seminar, Winston-Salem, NC, March 18-19, 2016.
- International Society of Appraisers, The Broad Evidence Report, webinar presented by Leon Castner, ISA CAPP, viewed January 15, 2015.
- Foundation for Appraisal Education, Annual Education Seminar, 2012-2014. All two-day events with over 12 hrs of continuing education on a wide variety of topics related to antiques and fine art.
- International Society of Appraisers, 7 Hour Personal Property USPAP Course, 2012-2013 Update, 2014-2015 Update and 2016-2017 Update.
- Winterthur Institute, Two-week course in American decorative arts made or used in America between 1640 and 1860, including over 60 hours of lectures, guided tours and workshops focusing on period furniture, silver, metals, ceramics, and textiles, Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE, September 30-October 12, 2012.
- International Society of Appraisers, Chinese Jades: Value & Power, Webinar presented by Susan Lahey, ISA, viewed November 26, 2011.
- International Society of Appraisers, Introduction to Appraising Rugs, Webinar presented by Ellen Amirkhan, ISA CAPP, viewed August 8, 2011.
- International Society of Appraisers, The Appraisal of Fine Arts, Chicago, IL, September 28 – October 3, 2010.
- International Society of Appraisers, The Appraisal of Antiques and Residential Contents, passed examination after self-study, March 2010.
- International Society of Appraisers, 15-Hour National USPAP Course, Hoffman Estates, IL, October 15-16, 2009.
- International Society of Appraisers, Core Course in Appraisal Studies: Appraisal Theory, Principles, Methodology, and Report Writing Standards, Hoffman Estates, IL, July 20-26, 2009.
- Winterthur Ceramics Conference 2006, Doing the Continental: European Ceramics and Design Inspirations, Winterthur Museum, Winterthur, DE, April 21-22, 2006.
University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, IL; J.D.
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia., PA; B.A.
Univ. of Arizona, Rogers College of Law, Associate Professor of Law, Tucson, AZ, June 2006-June 2009
Taught torts, health care law, and reproductive law & ethics.
Selected Legal Publications: Rights of the Dead, 37 HOFSTRA L. REV. 763 (2009); Creating Children with Disabilities: Parental Tort Liability for Preimplantation Genetic Interventions, 60 HASTINGS L. J. 299 (2008); Defining Life from the Perspective of Death, 2006 U. CHI. LEGAL F. 41 (2006).
University of Chicago Law School, Bigelow Fellow & Lecturer in Law, Chicago, IL, Aug 2004-June 2006
Taught legal research and writing and a seminar in reproductive law & ethics.
Wildman, Harrold, Allen & Dixon LLP (now Locke Lord LLP), Litigation Associate, Chicago, IL, June 2002-Aug 2004
Worked as a litigator in insurance, business, medical malpractice, general tort and products liability cases.
- Arizona State Bar (inactive status)
- Illinois State Bar (inactive status)